I managed to get out today just before lunch and have a bowl. The air was dead still so no wind to assist with getting any drift. I bowled 3 buckets of 30 balls. The initial bucket (Red dots) using an upright arm which is usually the more accurate. I went straight into it rather than warming up, so emulating a situation where you’d be thrown the ball and perhaps only have time to bowl the ball at the mid-off players before bowling for real. The target area was set fuller today - about 9' from the stumps (6' approx.) from the batsman and my younger son Joe did the observation of where the ball landed and marked it on the sheet below. The positioning of the target are wasn't intentional and is probably a bit too full.
The top illustration shows the 1st 30 balls and in comparison with the following two buckets of 30 is very full and lacks the accuracy that I’m after and this was using a delivery method I usually consider to be the more accurate of the two arm positions I’m currently working with. This set of 30 was with a more vertical arm.
The Yellow ball illustration was the 2nd batch of 30 and the blue ball illustration was the last 30 and it's obvious that as I get into a rhythm things improve. But, as Wrist spinners looking to be in the game we/I need to produce accuracy from the outset..
I reckon this definitely too full and needs to be pulled back another 3’ or a metre.
This is definitely a good drill to do and easily recorded if you've got a mate that can watch where the ball lands and mark it on a piece of paper to show how accurate you are when bowling, it also puts a little bit of pressure on you and you have to bowl with purpose. So in terms of its usefulness it's SMART...
Specific, measureable, attainable, realistic and timely and uses resources easily put together other than the 30 balls.